Jun 24, 2010

Prime Minister Julia Gillard

Hello Australians. We have a new Prime Minister, the Honourable Julia Gillard. I stayed late from work this morning to watch the spill carry out. Excitement gripped me through and through. I love change. Whether it's good or bad, I get a thrill watching large scale change. Now, before Mr. Rudd finished his term as Prime Minister, he has been ousted and Julia Gillard is leader.

When I finally left the ABC's rather spotty programming, I went via a servo. Inside, a chap came in and bought a newspaper in front of me. He tapped it and said to the cashier, "It's done. Gillard's PM. We didn't vote for her. Typical Labour." He then left in a huff.

First, good for him for at least being fiery and interested about politics. Second, what the hell does that mean? How many leaders were churned through by the Liberal party prior to this spill? Not to mention that the events of today were unprecedented. Perhaps he was referring to the NSW factional problems that resulted in an unhappy public voting out Mz. Keneally. I doubt that chap had really thought it through, but his comments did make me think.

My girlfriend is similarly inclined in politics, and she tweeted in response to the groupthink of unfairness Liberals are shoving, "I voted for Rudd knowing full well Gillard would take over should he not be able to discharge his duties as PM. She is my elected PM." It's a good point, and well formed.

I'm not fussed by the way in which this leadership turnover was handled. I'm equally unfussed about the Liberal party's several spills. What I think this does highlight is another facet of our political system that I disagree with, and that I think republicanism can resolve.

The way our system stands now, with these sorts of spills allowing our PM to be replaced by internal party votes and not by the vote of the people takes away the full democratic process. It means that really, we are voting for the party, not for the person. There are pros and cons to this. Obviously a party is kept in check, the power diversified and doled out in varying agrees among a group. It also results in slower, less dramatic change. It holds back the ability to really push forward as trail blazers.  I want us to be better, and I think a reformatted system that brings with it more respect for our nation's leader and thus an inability to have a group of factional leaders oust our elected leader in a sanctioned coup is the way to go.

3 comments:

LibbyLynch said...

I love that julia had the balls to stand up against Kevin-o-Lemon. whether it was a typical political stunt or not it does seem that she actually cares about the interest of Australians. with that in mind i think she will be elected as PM in the next election. for it is a clear fact that votes are more often than not based on how we percieve an individual on face value rather than what they stand for and how they go about their political endeavours.

Unknown said...

Libby, tis true. Would you have considered voting for Malcom Turnbull when he was lead of the Liberal Party? He had a strong sense of responsibility and didn't seem to lean as terrifyingly on the fear inducing methods of the right as some of his predecessors have and still do.

LibbyLynch said...

not sure how to answer this one. on face value? hell no! U.G.L why? LOL - I have no alibi