Feb 4, 2010

iiNet slay AFACT!

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/iinet-slays-hollywood-in-landmark-piracy-case-20100204-ndwr.html

This is very good news, my friends! iiNet have successfully defended themselves in court, in a case that was the first to actually go before a judge instead of settling out of court. Thank you iiNet for taking the bullet and setting a precedent. Now the Internet provider can continue to offer internet without fear, and perhaps other ISPs will stop towing the line of the big copyright holder organisations and alliances.

I may have said this before, but here's why I'm all for this decision:
Yeah, I'm in an industry where pirates may one day take money out of my mouth, but I think because I am young and unstained by old ways of thinking, I can see that this is the reality of the situation. The audience is now holding content makers accountable. I look at it not as thieves stealing IP, but as an audience determining the quality of goods. If your product isn't good enough to have a consumer drop $30 on it, then make a better product, win back your lost audience. Find ways to deal with this new landscape. The tide is made of millions of humans. It isn't a phase or a fad. Pirating is an indelible part of our industry. Your challenge as filmmakers and producers is to find ways to take advantage of it. Hopefully the ridiculous stranglehold only 5 or so corporations have over the entire western world of movie making will be broken and the chance to make a film can be spread out, the flow opened up. The new big men and women in our biz will be those who harness the internet and accept the behaviour of their audience, instead of trying to forcibly shackle and rape them.

No comments: