Nov 30, 2009

Swiss Miss and Bubye Connex

Connex are gone. Ding dong. Lots of people are writing about it in the news today, but one article was simple and thoughtful. Even the pun in the title, a practice I hate, is forgiven because it actually fits in smoothly with the sentiment, instead of the horrendous forced monstrosities usually printed.
'Goodbye Connex, but will the news guys fare better?'
Clay Lucas shows a rare journalistic quality in this article: the ability to write. He uses time tested methods, like introducing a tantalising topic at the beginning that seems at odds with the title, then bringing that around nicely to the issue at hand. He then lays out structured arguments and information to support them and doesn't stray off into areas that lack the relevance of his chosen points. Finally, he pulls it into the station with a reference back to his introduction and the world seems whole. Kudos Clay, kudos.

Also in the news, Switzerland and their super democracy hold a referendum that ushers in the banning of any new minarets being built. This is pretty weird, wouldn't you say? I mean, what the hell is a minaret? It sounds like a move employed by ballet dancers, and no one wants to ban them, ever. Even the Chinese dig a pink tutu. A minaret is a tall tower, usually with a pointy onion top.

They are commonly built along side mosques (the big, wider onion is the mosque) and are a Muslim thing, as far as this story is concerned. My girlfriend pointed out that Russia is littered with these too, and I appreciated her concern for the poor Ruso-Swiss...OK guys. I have to admit something to you right now. It's kind of personal so I don't want you to make a big deal about it, cool? That ellipses you see up there, the three dots? Yeah, well during that ellipses, I actually got sidetracked watching Ask A Ninja interview Will Ferrel and Napoleon Dynamite. From there, well, I got on the YouTube train, had a layover at Facebook central and might have popped over to Coke Street for a couple of giddy minutes. Once I came back here I may have, just a little...well, I lost interest. I'm not proud of it, but there it is.

So, to wrap up, when the calmest, most laid back, neutralist kid in school starts getting nervous and laying into the Muslim kid, you gotta wonder what that Muslim kid did to be so focussed on. Maybe we're all going a little bit nuts? I don't know. That's why I'm not an expert.

No comments: